I created this resource page to help you find tools for your health and fitness needs. I’ll continue to add to this page as I learn more. I recommend bookmarking it for your reference and convenience. Enjoy!
MY MOST RECOMMENDEDTools To Improve Joint
These are my most recommended products. I find myself recommending these resources again and again, in emails and to my patients. I personally use these products and have used them for my patient with great success. I’m sure you will find benefit from them as well.
Rumble Roller : Very helpful for improving flexibility and self mobilization of joints and soft tissues. Another effective tool for doing self massage.
SeriousSteel Mobility Bands – 41”: These bands are helpful for mobilizing and stretching joints and soft tissues.
Hitachi Magic Wand: This hand held massage is an excellent tool to do self massage. This can make it easier on your hands and is very effective for improving tissue mobility. Removing “sticky spots” and trigger points.
Mahanarayan Herbal Oil: This is a natural anti inflammatory herbal oil for pain relief and faster post exercise recovery. Mahanarayan oil has Ayurvedic herbs used for improving joint, muscle and nerve health. Our skin is lipophilic (allows oil to enter) so herbal oil is a very effective medium to deliver healing herbs deeper into the tissue. Mahanarayan is an ancient Ayurvedic herbal oil formula used for faster recovery after injuries. It’s a natural anti inflammatory which helps bursitis, tendonitis, Sciatica, arthritis, Fibromyalgia, Tennis Elbow, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, etc.
Ashwagandha Bala Oil: This oil is a Vata pacifying oil used to strengthen joints, muscles and nerves. It great for athletes, the elderly and those recovering from injuries or in a weakened state. The oils helps speed recovery for those who are athletic and lead an active lifestyle. The oil is used in Ayurveda to improve muscle mass, tone and energy. Both Ashwagandha and Bala are Ayurvedic herbs known to for their anabolic and rejuvenating effect.
Ashwagandha: “The Indian Ginseng” (Withania Somnifera) pronounced “Ah-shwa-gan-dah” is one of the top 10 herbs in Ayurvedic pharmacopoeia and has been used for over 2000 years. It is an adaptogen (increases the body’s ability to adapt to internal and external stress) and a rasayana or rejuvenative (herbal tonic) used to invigorate and strengthen the whole body while calming the nervous system. For someone who has sports related injuries or just a lot of wear and tear on the body, Ashwagandha is amazing for relieving pain and to strengthen the whole body. It can really help you stay active and fit.
Weight Loss, Detox and Anti-Oxidant Formulas
Shilajit (Bitumen Asphaltum) : is a herbo-mineral compound collected from the rocks of the Himalayas in summer and has a pale-brown to blackish brown color. This amazing herb is known in Ayurveda as the “conqueror of mountains and destroyer of all weakness” and as the “conqueror of rocks”. It is classified as a rasayana or herbal tonic and immuno-modulator in Ayurvedic medicine. Its role in promoting overall fitness is well known in India. Shilajit is one of the top anti-aging herbs with a powerful antioxidant action for a long healthy life.
Bone and Joint Health Formulas
- Boswellia or Sallaki : (Boswellia carterii), also known as “Indian frankincense” is another gum resin like Guggulu and is used to treat various joint pain and arthritic conditions in Ayurveda. It contains boswellic acids which are potent anti-inflammatory compounds and improves circulation. It removes stagnation, used to detoxify the joints, improves blood flow and reduces cartilage damage. With regular use I have seen this herb reduce swelling and pain as well as improve joint mobility and strength.
- Turmeric : In Ayurveda and Chinese medicine, turmeric is used as an anti-inflammatory, blood and liver cleanser, to regulate blood sugar, as a detoxicate, antioxidant, antibiotic and antiseptic. It is an important ingredient in Ayurvedic formulas for relieving pain and reduces inflammation associated with arthritis. It is commonly used as a natural anti-inflammatory and pain reliever immediately after injuries.
Guggulu (Commiphora Mukul) is known in Sanskrit as “one that protects against diseases”. It balances all systems of the body and is one of the most important herbs for removal of toxins “ama”. “Ama” refers to toxins that accumulate in the body because of poor digestion and slow metabolism. Guggulu is traditionally used as part of an entire class of Ayurvedic formulas for recovery after injuries, joint pains and tendonitis.
- Yogaraj Guggulu : is used for moving, shifting and radiating pain. Joints with cracking, popping and without much swelling or heat benefit from it’s use.
- Kaishore Guggulu : is used for sharp pain, burning sensations, red, hot, swollen painful joints. Anti-inflammatory effect.
- Punarnavadi Guggulu : is used for dull, heavy, ache. For joints that are puffy, swollen and cool to touch. Relieves swelling and pain.
Ayurvedic Detox, Anti-oxidant and Rejuvenative Formulas
- Amalaki : Amalaki (Embelica Myrobalan/Embelica Officianalis), also known as Amla, has been used in India for thousands of years as a super fruit. It’s a powerful anti-oxidant and adaptogen with one of the highest known natural sources of vitamin C. Amalaki has extremely high concentrations of bioflavonoids and tannins, making it a powerful anti-aging health tonic that repairs damaged tissues and boosts immunity. Detoxifies and flushes out toxins and improves digestion.
- Guduchi : This herb is one of the most versatile rejuvenative (herbal tonic) herbs in Ayurveda. It helps one live a long and healthy life (Vayahsthapana) by improving digestion, boosting immunity, purifying blood and detoxifying the body. Guduchi is another herb that not only improves health, it also enhances performance for sports and general fitness.
- Triphala : the three ingredients in Triphala (Three Fruits – tri meaning three and phala is fruit), the most popular detox and potent herbal tonic formula used in Ayurvedic medicine.
- Ashwagandha: It helps improve general fitness, enhances sports performance, builds strength, increases endurance and improves muscle tone. If you are feeling run down or exhausted from excessive work or lack of sleep, you will benefit from regular use of Ashwagandha.
Herbal Oils – Relieve Pain, Reduce Stiffness and Improve Strength
- Mahanarayan Oil: This is a natural anti inflammatory herbal oil for pain relief and faster post exercise recovery. Restore has 45 Ayurvedic herbs used for improving joint, muscle and nerve health.
- Ashwagandha Bala Oil : The oils helps speed recovery for those who are athletic and lead an active lifestyle. The oil is used in Ayurveda to improve muscle mass, tone and energy.
Tools for building strength
- Theracord Resistance Bands For Strength Training: These are resistance bands used for improving strength.
- Vinyl coated Kettlebell Set: Kettlebells are a great tool to build strength. Kettlebell training is a better alternative to traditional weight training and doesn’t require as much equipment.
- Stability/Exercise Ball : Exercise ball to help improve your core strength, balance and overall mobility.
Tools to improve joint, muscle and myo-fascia mobility. Improve circulation and blockages.
- Rumble Roller: This roller is different than most rollers. The knobby protrusions make it very effective as a self massage tool. It almost feels like you are getting deep tissue work done.
- High Density Foam Roller 36”x6”: This a regular foam roller, but of higher density. Also very effective for improving spine, rib cage and shoulder mobility.
- SeriousSteel Mobility Bands – 41”: These bands are helpful for mobilizing and stretching joints and soft tissues.
- Cupping Kit w/ 19 Cups, 10 Acu-pressure Pointers Included: Cupping therapy helps remove blockages, improves circulation, bringing nutrients and flow of Qi for pain relief and faster healing. It’s used to help remove stagnant blood, fluids and toxins out of the injured area.
- Hitachi Magic Wand: This hand held massage is an excellent tool to do self massage. This can make it easier on your hands and is very effective for improving tissue mobility. Removing “sticky spots” and trigger points.
- OPTP Stretch Out Band To Assist With Mobility Exercises : This band can assist you with your mobility routine.
Mobilization Wedge: Wedge used to improve upper and lower back mobility.
Tape For Pain Relief and Improving Function
- Wet-Pruf Tape: I like to use this tape for the mulligan knee taping technique. Mulligan knee taping technique is my favorite taping technique and I find it helps over 90% of my knee patients.
- Rocktape Kinesiology Tape : This is type of kinesio tape that can help with joint mechanics and relieve tissue irritation.
- KT Pro Tape Pre-Cut Strips : This is another Kinesio tape. It comes in pre-cut strips so makes it easier to apply.
- Pranayama For Self-Healing Video : Yoga Breathing exercises (Pranayama) are an amazing way to work on the cardiovascular system and improve overall health. This is a little know secret that most athletes don’t know, but Yogis have used it for thousands of years for overall health and fitness without over stressing the joints. Dr. Lad does a great job demonstrating Pranayama and explaining the benefits of each breathing technique.
Ayurveda Resources, Cooking and Diet
- The Complete Book Of Ayurvedic Home Remedies: This a great Ayurvedic home remedies book written by Dr. Lad. It address all sorts of health issues and gives guidelines for achieving good health. Every home should have this book as a reference.
- Ayurvedic Cook Book : This is a good book on Ayurvedic cooking for westerners.
- Muse: The Brain Sensing Headband For Meditation: This is an electronic brain sensing headband that helps measure your brain signals. It gives you visual and auditory feedback to help manage stress.
- Michie, David. Hurry Up and Meditate. Your Starter Kit for Inner Peace and Better Health.
- Williams, Mark and Danny Penman. Mindfulness. An Eight-Week Plan for Finding Peace in a Frantic World.
- Kabat-Zinn. Wherever You Go There You Are.
- Hanh, Thich Nhat. The Miracle of Mindfulness. An Introduction to the Practice of Meditation.