With an already painful knee, exercises involving lunges and squats which only make the knees more painful. There’s a lot of confusion about whether one should do weight bearing exercises like squats and lunges when recovering from a knee injury.
In my view, there is no point loading an already painful knee joint. Better to strengthen the local muscles in non-weight bearing first without loading the painful joint. In the early stages of recovery it’s much better to do exercises in sitting or lying down for strengthening the knee. Once the irritability has subsided, pain and/or swelling is gone, the joint can tolerate standing exercises like squats and lunges.
See my recommended program to recovery from knee injuries Build Better Knees Recovery Kit
Regular massage of the painful joints with Ayurvedic Mahanarayan Oil, Castor oil or Sesame oil followed by heat is also very helpful for controlling the pain, improving circulation and lymphatic flow. Depending on the type and stage of injury the following herbal formulas are helpful:
- If there is acute inflammation use Kaishore Guggulu herbal formula
- If cracking/popping and pain, Yograj Guggulu herbal formula
- If the joint is swollen, stiff or cool use Punarnavadi Guggulu herbal formula
- Can also take Ashwagandha, Turmeric Musta and Tagar for managing pain and strengthening the joint.
If you need be, use a good brace to support the joint and avoid bending or prolonged weight bearing. Focus on improving the overall strength of the metabolism and the nervous system to facilitate faster healing.
Recommended solutions mentioned in this post:
- Kaishore guggulu tablets for pain relief and inflammation
- Ashwagandha powder for joint and muscle strength
- Mahanarayan oil for massage
- Yogaraj Guggulu tablets for healthy joints
- Punarnavadi Guggulu tablets for swollen and puffy joints
- Turmeric – natural anti-inflammatory
- Knee brace for joint support
*This information is for education purposes only. Please consult your Physician, Physical Therapist or Wellness Practitioner before starting any rehabilitation, wellness or fitness program. These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
(C) Copyright 2016 Manu Kalia All Rights Reserved