Whether it is a sports related injury or general wear and tear secondary to obesity or one’s occupation – getting the problem addressed early and following some basic guidelines can speed the recovery and prevent future problems.
Tips for knee pain, weakness, clicking popping, giving out
1. Go see your MD and Physical Therapist to get a basic evaluation done to make sure it is not a serious issue or the pain is not being referred from another body part (eg. Lumbar Spine, hip, etc.)
2. Avoid weight bearing activities – remember it is a load bearing joint – don’t aggravate it further by putting more weight on it – yes that means limiting walking and standing and avoiding squatting, kneeling, running, yard work and even cleaning the house. No you can’t do your step aerobics class.
3. Use a cane or crutches to support your body weight and relieve load off the knee.
4. Use heat or warm water soak+epsom salt+baking soda to improve circulation and control pain.
5. Can start doing some very gentle strengthening and mobility exercises in NON-WEIGHT BEARING (means laying down and not in standing). No pushing or pressing. No gym routine unless you have been cleared by your Physical Therapist.
I see too many people make their knee injuries worst by performing aggressive exercises or walking/standing and loading the joint too much or too soon. Follow these simple guidelines and use common sense. Remember it takes time to heal. Your body will do the job, if you give it the right environment and guidance to heal. Most minor issues usually resolve on their own. However if something persists, don’t waste time. Get in and see your medical professional ASAP.
*This information is for education purposes only. Please consult your Physician, Physical Therapist or Wellness Practitioner before starting any rehabilitation, wellness or fitness program. These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
(C) Copyright 2013 Manu Kalia All Rights Reserved