What is runner’s knee injury?
Runner’s knee injury is a very common repetitive strain injury that affects a large number of runners.
It’s also known as Patellofemoral pain syndrome or PFPS. Patellofemoral joint is comprised of the knee cap and the groove it sits on made by the femur or thigh bone.
Runner’s knee injury is due to repetitive trauma to the cartilage on the underside of kneecap and irritation of the tissues around the kneecap.
This is a common problem which affects various athletes and especially runners.
Common symptom of Runner’s knee pain are knee pain especially in front of the knee, along the kneecap or behind the kneecap. Often accompanied with popping, catching or grinding sensation when walking or with knee movement.
Due to pain and weakness, giving out or buckling of the knee. Swelling, painful to touch, burning and ache are also often reported by runners with runner’s knee pain.
Load bearing activities such as running, squatting, jumping or going up and down stairs is usually painful.
Cause Of Runner’s Knee Injury
1. Overuse or repetitive trauma the kneecap and surrounding tissues. Running on hard surfaces like pavement, downhill running, running long distances, etc. can all result in excessive stress on the patellofemoral joint.
2. Poor foot mechanics, tight and weak hips or weak core muscles can all cause imbalances resulting in excessive stress on the knees.
3. Poor diet and lack of nutrition can also predispose runners to injuries. Often also leads to poor recovery and slowing down of healing time.
4. Lack of rest and inadequate downtime can prevent the body from recovering from post training wear and tear.
5. Not varying training or running routines can also cause overuse trauma and often pain. Very important to incorporate strength training, Yoga and other forms of exercises to restore imbalances and prevent injuries.
Check out video below on causes of Runner’s knee injury
Additional Posts You Might Find Helpful…
For runners this is a great video to learn about runners knee pain, since this problem affects a large number of runners.